Handy Teacher Recipes|
by The Teachers.Net Community
Piglets in a Blanket
Things You'll Need:
- Refrigerator Biscuits, 1 biscuit per child
- Cocktail Sausages, 1 sausage per child (little smokies or vienna sausages)
- Mustard and Catsup (it's possible your local fast food may donate a few individual servings).
- Oven or Toaster Oven
- Cookie Sheet or Toaster Oven Pan
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Paper Plates (1 per child)
How to Cook:
Open biscuits. Give one to each child. Give each child a sausage. Demonstrate how to wrap the sausage in the biscuit.
Spray cookie sheet or pan with cooking oil spray. Place "piglet", one at a time on cookie sheet. Write down the order they are placed on the cookie sheet so each child gets their own back.
How to Eat:
Squirt mustard and catsup on paper plates for the children to dip the piglet into while eating.
Have FUN !
adapted from Kids Just Wanna Have Fun...Cooking
Coconut Bread From Barbados
(adapted from "Everybody Bakes Bread")
This is so good...and smells incredible while baking. Even coconut-hating children lick their fingers. Makes enough to share!
Makes 3 loaves
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
3 Tbs. shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
6 cups flour
2 Tbs. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp.
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Children grease 3 loaf pans
- In a very large bowl, have children measure out butter, shortening, and sugar. Take turns beating with wooden spoon till fluffy.
- Add milk, water, and vanilla and stir well. Set aside.
- Have children measure out and mix in another bowl the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Let children add flour mixture to the butter mixture little by little, stirring after each addition.
- Stir in coconut and raisins
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces, form into loaves. Place loaves into greased pans.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes in a 350 oven, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Beach in a Bag Snack
Give each child a small ziploc bag.
Set out in bowls the following ingredients. Put a spoon in each bowl, and let the children transfer a spoonful to their bag. Serve with water!
- Dry Chowmein noodles- (seaweed)
- Pretzel sticks-(driftwood)
- Goldfish Crackers- (fish)
- Cheerios- (life preservers)
- Dried Apricots- (beach towels)
- Raisins- (beach pebbles)
Send your favorite recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org