by The Teachers.Net Community
- Tape two or three sheets of butcher paper together so that the painting areas is about 6 ft x 6 ft.
- Have the kids sit around the paper.
- Pour a puddle of green paint and a puddle of red paint in the center of the paper.
- Roll a watermelon through the paint to a child. (the watermelon must the round type for better rolling)
Let the children work cooperatively to roll the watermelon through the paint and to a friend.
As the watermelon rolls through the paint, the colors will mix and smear and make awesome designs.
The children will be messy and will need protective smocks to do this project.
- Hang the finished project on the wall for all to admire.
Then rinse that watermelon off and make some...
- 3 cups watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 t. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- To prepare watermelon juice, cut watermelon into cubes and rub through a strainer to remove seeds.
- In small saucepan mix together sugar and water; simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat
- Stir in watermelon juice and lemon juice.
- Pour into 2 ice trays.
- Freeze until very mushy and insert a popsicle stick in each cube.
Makes about 36 small popsicles.