Candles of Inspiration...
by Tina in Texas
I have a new child in my class this year. We have had a tough couple of weeks since he has started. He's had a hard time adapting, and often I find myself thinking that my class would be much quieter and calmer without him. Last week the class was working on making a class book called "I am thankful for....." I was getting the usual responses, my Mom and Dad, Power Rangers, Spiderman, etc. When it was this boy's turn he sat for a while drawing, taking his time (which was unusual for him). When he came to dictate his page to me, he said, "I am thankful ...(pause)... for you."
It brought tears to my eyes, made me realize how much impact teachers do have on children and that even though we had butted heads, I was getting through to him!
A Special Smile
by Peg Science and Math (GATE)
I have had a student with special needs in my class for the last two years. He moved from another district and has anxiety disorders that cause him to think that the whole world is against him. I have worked very hard to get him to understand that our room is a safe place and while he doesn't always agree with me, I do appreciate him and his talents. One day recently, I noticed he had signed out of the lunch room to come eat and work in my classroom. He wrote his name, and my name indicating where he was going. Next to my name was a big happy face. I still smile when I think of it. I know that I have formed a special bond with this boy. Sometimes it is the little things that make a big difference.
Dry Socks He Wore on His Heart
One of my assistants in our preschool special needs class was walking back from the clinic with a child who came in with socks that were positively dripping when he arrived. (We had taken his shoes off when he arrived, there was standing water in the shoes!) He looked up at her and said, "Thank you, Miss _____, nobody takes care of me." I don't think any of us had dry eyes in my classroom when she shared that story.
Browse through the latest posts on the Counseling Chatboard...
- Need ideas for Career Ed. for Elementary School, 11/29/02, by Justin.
- Boy who needs Frienship Skills, but won't role-play??, 11/27/02, by Lucia.
- Activities for a Study Skills Group, 11/27/02, by Lucia.
- Calling all counselors K - 3, 11/27/02, by Kelly Bear.
- STUDENT JOBS, 11/26/02, by Sirenna.
- Oreo Lesson, 11/25/02, by Sheri.
- Inappropriate touching, 11/25/02, by JR.
- Counselor's Goals on IEP?, 11/24/02, by Marie.
- Primary age behavior observation form, 11/22/02, by Rick @ Sunset.
- 2nd annual School Counselor Software Survey, 11/19/02, by Russell Sabella.
- Need ideas for Peer Pressure with 6th graders, 11/19/02, by Lucy/K-12 Guidance/NE.
- requirements and salary for CT guidance counceler, 11/18/02, by michelle.
- Counselor Exam, 11/18/02, by Sheri.
- Lyn, would you please share some other cooperative activitie, 11/18/02, by e.whitehead.
- advice?, 11/17/02, by Allison.
- Lesson to address personal space, 11/17/02, by Sarah.
- Guidance Programs, 11/17/02, by New 5TH Grade Teacher.
- Red Ribbon Week-Save this idea for next year, 11/16/02, by Linda Lambert.
- Laws in California - Starting a support group, 11/15/02, by Cindi.
- Tandy and Others!!! I need some advice, 11/15/02, by Lucy/K-12 Counseling/NE.
- Positive Discipline in the Classroom, 11/14/02, by Mary .
- Lesson for Divorce Group-1st/2nd grade, 11/14/02, by Mary .
- Advice for a Teacher/Mom, 11/13/02, by kcee.
- counseling exam, 11/13/02, by sheri.
- To Tandy, 11/12/02, by Elementary Counselor.